Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Wolverines conquer No. 1 Minot State in Shootout

Wolverines conquer No. 1 Minot State in Shootout

DEARBORN, Mich. - After a narrow loss in game one, the University of Michigan-Dearborn men's ice hockey team looked poised for a comfortable win up three goals midway through the third period on Saturday. However, No. 1 Minot State University proved its ranking by rallying back to tie the game and force a shootout in game two at the UM-Dearborn Ice Arena.

The No. 7 Wolverines saw a 6-3 lead evaporate, with the tying goal from the Beavers coming with less than a second on the regulation clock. UM-Dearborn did not wilt, controlling the majority of the action in the overtime session, narrowly missing the game winner on several occasions as the game went to a shootout.

UM-Dearborn netminder Thomas Proudlock (SO/Southgate, Mich.) stopped the first four MSU opportunities in the shootout, setting the stage for Kyle Schnettler (FR/Metamora, Mich.), who beat the Beaver goalie to ice the win for the Wolverines.

The win is the first for UM-Dearborn this season over a team ranked higher in the ACHA and moves the Wolverines to 18-7-1 heading into the final week of the regular season.

After Minot State jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead in the first period, the Wolverines scored five unanswered and led 6-3 in the third period. Six different Wolverines scored in regulation starting with Marcus McSweeney (JR/Chandler, Ariz.) from Tyler Groat (SO/Wyandotte, Mich.) in the first period sending UM-Dearborn to the first intermission with momentum.

The Wolverines rolled through the Beavers in the second, scoring all four goals in the frame. Kevin Bechard (SO/Trenton, Mich.), Justin Dunn (FR/Trenton, Mich.), Nic LaBurn (SO/Northville, Mich.) and Troy Saunders (SO/Canton, Mich.) all scored for UM-Dearborn as the period ended with the Wolverines up 5-2. After MSU made it 5-3 five minutes into the third, Groat answered to recaptured the three-goal lead for UM-Dearborn.

The Beavers slowly chipped away at the deficit and with the seconds dwindling threw one last desperation shot at the net that found its way past Proudlock, setting the stage for UM-Dearborn's shootout heroics.

Proudlock made 32 saves and stopped four shots in the shootout after entering the game in the first period. The Wolverines were outshot 42-33 in the game.

UM-Dearborn closes the regular season with a home-and-home series against Rochester College starting in Dearborn on senior night at 7:30 p.m. Friday.