DEARBORN, Mich. – After closing out its 2017-18 season with three straight wins, the new look University of Michigan-Dearborn women's basketball team will look to start the season on the right foot and reach the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference Postseason Tournament.
"It was nice to send the seniors off on a winning note last season," head coach Jordan Sweeney said, as he prepares for a roster that lost eight players from 2017-18. "I think we can build off that streak and really get going early this season."
What You Need to Know
- Sweeney returns for his third season as head coach. Assistant Brooke Bowers will be joined by Rod Wells, Tiffany Butler and Justin Popov.
- The Wolverines play 15 home games at the UM-Dearborn Fieldhouse this season.
- Last season's nine wins were the most for the UM-Dearborn women's basketball program since 2012-13.
- UM-Dearborn's roster is made up of four newcomers and 10 returners.
- Jeorgia Jones: The junior was on the WHAC All-Freshman Team two seasons ago and will continue to play a large role for the Wolverines in her third year.
- Sade Lemons: The returning starter was named to the All-WHAC Second Team last season.
- Jenna Rogers, Natalie Spala and Micah White: The three seniors "will all have an opportunity to compete for playing time," and Sweeney expects a lot of leadership from this experienced group.
- Laekyn Jaciuk and Charity Godbold: Both missed the majority of 2017-18 and will look to make an impact after transferring to UM-Dearborn.
- Ro'Zhane Wells: The sophomore guard from Ypsilanti, Mich., transferred to UM-Dearborn after playing for one year at Saginaw Valley State University.
- Vantanae Garrett: A true freshman from Detroit, Mich., Garrett attended Media and Arts High School and was named the Public School League Player of the Year as a senior.
- Lauryn Carroll: Carroll played in two state championships with Arbor Preparatory High School, winning the championship in her junior season. She transferred from Trine University.
- Cydney Williams: A sophomore from Canton, Mich., Williams joins UM-Dearborn after attending Wayne State University last year. Williams played with Carroll at Arbor Prep.
Schedule at a Glance
- The Wolverines open the 2018-19 season on the road as they travel to Southfield, Mich., to play in the LTU classic hosted by Lawrence Tech Oct. 26-27.
- The Wolverines play their first home game against Wright State-Lake Campus on Nov. 2.
- The WHAC schedule opens at Siena Heights on Nov. 14
- UM-Dearborn hosts the University of Northwestern Ohio on Nov. 20 for its first WHAC home game.
- Senior Day is against Aquinas College on Feb. 16 at the UM-Dearborn Fieldhouse.